Inside: Over 50 inexpensive date ideas designed to re-ignite the spark in your relationship. And at under $50 per date, you won’t be compromising your budget! (Bonus: Some dates for under $50 even include the cost of childcare!)
Dating today is nothing short of pricey. With the average cost of dinner and movie topping $100, date nights can feel unattainable if you’re on a budget.
I get it.
You’re frustrated because you know deep down that putting your marriage first benefits you, your spouse, and your kids. (And you’ve read the studies that prove it.)
For us, dual-incomes afforded us a lot of luxuries including date nights. But once we became a single-income household, we made a conscious decision to cut out the luxuries & extras. We made the mistake of categorizing our date night as an “extra” vs. “necessity” in our budget.
Just months after our big transition, we found ourselves unusually snippy & agitated with each other. We just weren’t connecting the way we used to. And on the worst days, it felt like we weren’t on the same team at all.
It gave me an icky feeling in the pit of my stomach and a lump in my throat.
What was causing this distance between me and my best friend?
As I dug deep to find the reason by mentally taking inventory of our recent interactions to remember the last time we just enjoyed each other. You know… talked, laughed, and played as we did when we were newlyweds? Sure, everything changes once you have kids. But we always managed to roll with the punches up until now.
And then it hit me.
In the process of “scaling back” our relationship was taking a major hit. The thing that we considered to be a luxury was actuall the thing bringing us the happiness & connection we needed in order to maintain a happy, healthy marriage.
It was the break in our life that allowed us to connect, to play, and to break free of our role of parents for just a few hours and appreciate eachother as people.
That time together was what we needed in order to stay us.
Now that I’d identified this small change we needed to make, there was just one more problem to solve.
How to afford it?
50+ Inexpensive Date Ideas:
1. A date in a box
With little to no effort on your part, your date box will show up in your mailbox each month. This idea takes the pressure off you and your s/o to do all the planning. Which is so key when both of you are crazy busy. Not to mention that this is a very cost-effective way to bond and have some fun together.
2. Cook dinner together
4. Play a board game
5. Do a small home improvement project
6. Watch an old, favorite movie.
7. Stroll through the park
8. Create a vision board
9. Teach each other something new
10. Create a photo collage
11. Give each other a massage
12. Have a spa night
13. Create a decadent dessert
14. Plan your next vacation
15. Watch your favorite TV show together
16. Roast marshmallows over a fire pit in your backyard
18. Church or synagogue
19. Hit the gym together
20. Take a yoga class together
21. Go bowling
22. Enjoy an historic tour of your town
23. Have a picnic
24. Volunteer at a local animal shelter
25. Grab a coffee and go to a playground
26. Play a game of HORSE
28. Take a stroll around a college campus
29. Visit a local beach or pool together
30. Grab a drink and appetizer at that hip, new restaurant
31. Hit up Groupon for local inspiration (& discounts)
32. Visit a Metropark, greenway or botanical garden
33. Go to the zoo
34. Pick fresh, seasonal fruit
35. Pick out cards for each other at the Hallmark store
36. Minor league baseball or hockey game
37. Attend a concert in the park
38. Go canoeing
If this is a possibilty for you in your area, I highly recommend it. There are fewer things that bring the level of zen that canoeing down a quiet stream can bring. Not to mention the element of teamwork as you and your hubby work together to maneuver the boat.
39. Stroll through your local farmer's market
40. Play a round of mini golf
41. See a movie
42. Paint something
43. Go skating
44. Go to a high school football game
45. Go to a drive-in movie
46. Go on a scavenger hunt
47. Go to a driving range
48. Go to a sports bar and root for your favorite team
49. Visit a museum
50. Walk around the mall together
51. Watch the sunrise or sunset
52. Take a trip to IKEA
And, there you have it! One super awesome, and inexpensive, list of date ideas you can start adding to your calendar today.